Shift Lead - IUC & 111
- 111/Integrated Urgent Care
- Band 5
- Secondment: 6 months (12 hour shifts across a 24/7 rota)
- 37.5 hours per week (Full Time)
- Southern House, Croydon
- £29,553 - £36,265 p.a. incl HCAS
- Today at 23:59
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe.
As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
As a 111/IUC Shift Lead to be accountable for managing the delivery of the 111/IUC service on a daily basis, rotating shift basis, covering a 24 hour period;
Proactively manage demand and performance on shift working with peers, adjusting staffing or taking other remedial action as required to attain all KPIs.
Analyse call flow and telephony reports on a continuous basis, with a view to identification of any telephony or IT failure, and to have a thorough understanding of contingency arrangements, implementing them as appropriate. Ensuring escalation and consultation as necessary. Be familiar with and able to lead contingency processes in the event of planned and emergency system down time.
Ensure all identified risks to service delivery are reported appropriately to Operational Managers and On Call teams as appropriate.
Manage accidents and incidents in line with policy and guidance ensuring timely reporting and escalation where relevant.
To act as point of contact and communication filter at site for all stakeholders, briefing and directing staff and promoting clear understanding in real time of any messages around performance.
Ensure complaints, incidents, compliments and feedback are dealt with in real time and/or delegated appropriately.
Working with Team Performance Leads and Clinical Performance Leads, ensure that all staff have access to support, advice and guidance to enable them to confidently fulfil their duties.
Main duties of the job
Being accountable for delivering 111/IUC Service Plans meeting contractual, KPIs, locally agreed, clinical, quality targets and standards and teams to account by: Maintain a shift log and handover for incoming Shift Lead. Proactively manage performance on shift for the 111/IUC contract working with peers, adjusting staffing or taking other action as required - optimising performance
Support the attainment of all KPIs by the real time management of the multidisciplinary team using tools such as GRS, Cisco and other appropriate tools. Make full use of performance management monitoring tools and undertake real time monitoring of team and individual’s performance, providing accurate reports on performance and other information as required, Undertake the Bridge role as and when required
Working for our organisation
Our organisation is driven by our strategic objectives and organisational visions and values and we look for people who are strongly aligned with them.
Our Team is tight knit and work well together. We are looking for a Shift Lead to ensure the provision of effective, patient-focussed services delivered in accordance with LAS contractual Key Performance Indicators. To lead, direct and provide real time performance management to the multi-disciplinary teams of frontline staff operating at site. This is an internal secondment for 6 months, the rota covers 24/7 period working 12 hour shifts, full flexibility is required.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Delivering high-quality patient care according to Trust standards and best practices by :
- maintaining call handling standards in accordance with nationally mandated standards for 111/IUC triage;
- Responding to reports of incidents requiring investigation within agreed time frames.
- Ensuring that any new policies or processes that impact on performance or staff management are cascaded appropriately throughout the Team and that compliance and understanding is checked.
- Ensuring that staff receive timely and regular feedback.
- Provide positive and constructive feedback to the Team on a shift by shift basis.
- Working with other 111/IUC Shift Leads, 111/IUC Team Performance Leads and Clinical Performance Leads to ensure that all staff has access to support, advice and guidance to enable them to confidently fulfil their duties.
- Review staffing levels and utilise quieter periods for additional offline time to be granted for development opportunities.
- Developing and applying best-practice employee relations in contentious and sensitive situations encouraging partnership working and collaboration with managers, staff and union representatives;
- Ensure all sickness is recorded and reported appropriately in GRS and any subsequent impact on performance is identified and remedied.
- Proactively review reports and address any shortfalls, shrinkage in both the short and medium term liaising with Resourcing Team as appropriate
- Positively manage/reduce shrinkage from roster release to the day of delivery by the timely planning of any off line activity
- Address issues of punctuality and schedule adherence as they arise
- Ensure that breaks are managed effectively without detriment to divisional performance.
- Identify in real time any emerging skill mix issues and resourcing of team and discuss with the Head of 111/IUC
- Ensure all non-attendance and sickness is recorded appropriately following agreed policy and utilising recognised tools
Qualifications, Accreditations, Education
- Degree Level Education or equivalent or previous relevant experience
- Management qualification or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable recent or current management experience at the same or similar level
- Ability to work to deadlines and evidence of time management skills
- In-depth experience of leadership capability including negotiating and influencing Skills
- Previous or current working in a health care or urgent service setting
- Evidence of coaching and mentoring
- Ability to interpret management Information reports and relate to performance improvement
- Experience of co-ordination of inbound/outbound call taking in a contact centre environment
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrating continuous personal and professional development
- Effective decision making capabilities
- Demonstrate an understanding of managing a safe working environment
- Full Awareness of the importance of Mandatory & Statutory training to including the Appraisal process
- Able to manage and develop staff performance (in real time)
- Knowledge of specialist software and systems: e.g. Adastra, Pathways, Verint, IDT
- Demonstrating role model leadership behaviours and adapting styles to match situations and audiences
- Being accountable for results and actions and in turn, holding others to account
- Leading, inspiring, motivating, developing and managing a team of staff in the day-to-day and situations of: - intense operational pressure; - distressing emotional circumstances;
- Communicating (orally and in writing), adapting the styles and messages to match the situation and audiences.
- Effective persuading, influencing and negotiating skills to achieve beneficial outcomes
- Demonstrating a passion for delivering quality services.
- Committing to being at work and willing to be on duty for day, night and weekend cover as part of a rota
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the United Kingdom (UK) are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. Please note that from January 2021, to work in the UK all candidates who are not UK or Republic of Ireland (RoI) nationals require sponsorship unless you have permission to work via another route. Non UK / RoI candidates wishing to apply can self-assess the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship here. It is vital that you provide full and accurate details of your current immigration status on the application form. Overseas applicants applying for entry clearance into the UK must present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided in continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Guidance can be found here. Not everyone needs a ‘Skilled Worker’ visa. If you are applying for a vacancy in health or adult social care, check if you’re eligible to apply for the Health and Care Worker visa instead. It’s cheaper to apply for and you do not need to pay the annual immigration health surcharge
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Maira Qureshi
- Job title
- General Manage
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 07909 000 548