Deputy General Manager
- IUC & 111; Integrated Patient Care Directorate
- Band 7
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week (Required to work flexibly Inc. evenings and weekends)
- Croydon or Barking
- Croydon or Barking
- £45,024 - £50,806 pa inc HCAS
- Today at 23:59
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer, across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe.
As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fantastic team and support the delivery of Integrated Urgent Care and 111 across London. The successful candidate will be a central part of the management team at Barking or Croydon and will be a key part in helping to shape and manage the service going forward. We are looking for an inspirational, innovative and emotionally intelligent leader with a can do attitude who can support the team develop after a very challenging year for staff and patients alike.
Main duties of the job
The Deputy General Manager will support the General Manager and work closely with the clinical and quality leadership roles for the Clinical Assessment Service (CAS). You will be expected to provide line management; including visible and accessible leadership to Team Managers, Operational Supervisors, Team Managers, Health Advisors and Service Advisors. You will be responsible for the planning, delivery and monitoring of performance of the overall CAS in adherence with contractual requirements and will ensure that the team have the right level of support, training and access to information and systems to ensure that they deliver this optimum service whilst ensuring patient safety and management of workforce.
Working for our organisation
Our organisation is driven by our strategic objectives and organisational visions and values and we look for people who are strongly aligned with them.
Our Team is tight knit and work well together. We are looking for a Shift Lead to ensure the provision of effective, patient-focussed services delivered in accordance with LAS contractual Key Performance Indicators. To lead, direct and provide real time performance management to the multi-disciplinary teams of frontline staff operating at site.
We welcome discussions about the role, so please do not hesitate to contact Becky Owen, General Manager, Croydon (email@example.com) or Maira Qureshi, Barking General Manager (Maira.firstname.lastname@example.org) should you wish to discuss the opportunity or need any further information.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Review performance on a regular basis (daily, weekly, monthly) as advised through operational management process to ensure that each team member understands their unique contribution to ensuring the divisional attainment of key performance indicators and takes ownership to self-manage, in order to achieve team goals and targets
- To manage, lead and develop the team to embed best practice
- Maintain a consistent approach in the use of the attendance, grievance and disciplinary policies to ensure that team members are managed fairly and equitably.
- Act as Investigating officer in line with policies and procedures as required.
- Ensure that when risks are identified they are logged and managed through the Risk register/processes.
- Ensure that all new team members have DSE assessments completed.
- To support and participate in the management of change and support the implementation of new initiatives, ensuring continuity of delivery of core business and the ongoing attainment of KPIs.
- Take responsibility for own continuous professional development.
- Degree Level Education or equivalent or previous relevant experience
- Management qualification or equivalent experience
- Evidence of relevant professional or personal development
Knowledge & Experience
- In-depth experience of co-ordination of inbound/outbound call taking in a contact centre environment
- Demonstrable experience in the ability to drive and develop staff performance through effective coaching
- Effective decision making capabilities
- Excellent and Effective communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and evidence of time management skills
- In-depth experience of leadership capability including negotiating and influencing skills
- Ability to work and lead in a team environment
- Experience in a management/supervisory capacity
- Knowledge of telephony triage and understanding of risk management
- Awareness of staff rostering systems
- Experience in division of plans and strategies ensuring in a meaningful formats
Skills & Capabilities
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft office Applications
- Demonstrate an understanding of managing a safe working environment
- Full awareness of the importance of Mandatory & Statutory training to include CCA accreditation and the PADR process
- Ability to travel between sites if required
- Knowledge of Registration Authority requirements
Values & Behaviours
- Commitment to providing service that meets the changing needs of external and/or internal customers
- Ability to work effectively in a team, providing support and leadership as appropriate, to achieve shared goals
- Focus on constructive evaluation and challenge of own and team performance
- Proactive in identifying opportunities for improvement and innovation
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the United Kingdom (UK) are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. Please note that from January 2021, to work in the UK all candidates who are not UK or Republic of Ireland (RoI) nationals require sponsorship unless you have permission to work via another route. Non UK / RoI candidates wishing to apply can self-assess the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship here. It is vital that you provide full and accurate details of your current immigration status on the application form. Overseas applicants applying for entry clearance into the UK must present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided in continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Guidance can be found here. Not everyone needs a ‘Skilled Worker’ visa. If you are applying for a vacancy in health or adult social care, check if you’re eligible to apply for the Health and Care Worker visa instead. It’s cheaper to apply for and you do not need to pay the annual immigration health surcharge
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Becky Owen
- Job title
- General Manager
- Email address