Business Improvement & Development Manager
- Business Improvement & Development Manager
- Band 7
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- £47,154 - £52,936 per annum inclusive of HCAS
- 26/09/2021 23:59
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe. As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
This role is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing commercial team in a London-wide Trust. The role combines business development and contract management so will be a fantastic opportunity to develop your skills and career.
You will be given autonomy and space to create opportunities, interacting across the Trust, whilst working closely with a supportive team. You will have the chance to get involved across a broad range of areas, from international development to consulting and product development. You will be responsible for playing a key role in organising and developing new and existing commercial work streams. Due to this you will need to be proactive with a ‘can-do’ attitude. Experience within roles is welcomed, as is wider relevant commercial experience or knowledge.
If you are looking for a role offering the chance for creativity that is varied and fast paced we would like to hear from you.
Main duties of the job
The key duties for this role will be:
· Planning and managing the pipeline of commercial opportunities.
· Identifying and leading on opportunities and commercial deals. Taking the full lifecycle from initial opportunity, checking feasibility, developing relationships, creating overview reports or proposals and costing appropriately (supported as required) before developing them to successful income generation stage.
· Support contract management for current and new opportunities, as well as the portfolio of commercial contracts.
· Responsible for tracking income and expenditure for the team and ensuring processes are in place for securing income, working with team and finance colleagues.
Applicants are advised to read all the information enclosed in the advert and the supporting information before completing and submitting an application. As you complete your application please ensure you clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria in the person specification for this post by adequately completing the supporting information section of the application form.
Priority consideration for this post will be given to ‘at risk’ candidates.
We reserve the right to close this advert early should there be a high number of applicants.
Working for our organisation
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust is the busiest ambulance Trust in the UK. We are seeking someone who will fit with the Trust values of being respectful, professional, innovative and collaborative.
Commercial is a high performing team with a broad portfolio, emphasising development, alongside professionalism and a desire to exceed expectations.
The team works widely across the Trust at all levels up to Board and with a variety of other partners such as external NHS Trusts, commercial organisations, Heathrow Airport, Stadia, London’s Air Ambulance and Healthcare UK and Department for International Trade.
You will, therefore, have the opportunity to join the team at an exciting time of growth and to gain experience of being involved in a varied portfolio.
- Annual leave starts at 27 days rising to 33 days, plus bank holidays, in line with agenda for change (NHS terms and conditions).
Employees can access Blue Light (emergency services) discounts as well as NHS discount schemes.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
• The successful delivery of measurable service improvements in existing and new services.
• Increasing market share of the LAS non-emergency services in target markets and sectors.
• Increasing income revenue streams from the LAS non-emergency services.
• The development of new business opportunities to be marketed to new clients by the business management team.
• Maintain responsibility for own Personal Development Plan, attending training courses, seminars, meetings or other events.
• Undertake annual performance reviews for direct line management reports.
• Demonstrate and promote effective team working between the business management team, collaborative working between LAS departments and key stakeholders
Qualifications, Accreditations, Education
- Educated to masters level or equivalent experience gained in a work or business environment
- Expert specialist knowledge relating to commercial strategy development and contract management. This will be extensive in nature and gained through the development of in-depth theoretical knowledge and practical experience
- Demonstrable evidence of advanced specialist knowledge in the commercial field gained through a range of short courses
- Evidence of recent CPD including Reagement training and experience
- Educated to MBA level
- Post ‘masters’ qualification or equivalent experience demonstrating a significant amount of advanced expert knowledge gained through substantial experience
- Demonstrable track record of successful commercial developments gained within a similar organisation at a similar level
- Significant experience at a senior leadership level
- Experience of leading effective contract negotiations
- Significant and demonstrable previous experience or demonstrable capability and capacity for leading and managing staff
- Experience of the NHS planning process and Tariff development including Payment by Results
- Experience of setting up commercial and/or contract management functions
- Experience of benchmarking to support service improvements
- Experience of developing high performing, customer focussed teams
Knowledge and Skills
- Up to date knowledge of NHS structures and health and social care systems, NHS policy, national directives and all Governance aspects with a specific emphasis on commercial regulations as it relates to Urgent and Emergency 111 and 999 services
- Credible and confident communicator at all levels, written and verbal
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Have the ability to successfully network with credibility both within and outside of area of expertise
- Strong leadership skills and experience
- First class presentation skills
- Gravitas, with the ability to build strong internal and external relationships
- Commercially astute and customer focused
- Numerate with strong analytical and problem solving ability
- Ability to challenge and effectively manage and deal with highly contentious situations and issues
- Sound political judgement and astuteness in understanding and working with complex policy, information and diverse interest groups
- Highly developed negotiating and influencing skills; with senior health care professionals across the Health Community and external organisations
- Proven strategic aptitude and ability
- Ability to be intellectually flexible and to look beyond existing structures, ways of working, boundaries and organisations to produce new commercially viable and innovative ways of working and partnerships
- Tenacious and results driven with sound business judgement
- Innovative with entrepreneurial flair
- Excellent project management skills
- Hands on, ‘Can do’ approach
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the United Kingdom (UK) are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. Please note that from January 2021, to work in the UK all candidates who are not UK or Republic of Ireland (RoI) nationals require sponsorship unless you have permission to work via another route. Non UK / RoI candidates wishing to apply can self-assess the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship here. It is vital that you provide full and accurate details of your current immigration status on the application form. Overseas applicants applying for entry clearance into the UK must present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided in continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Guidance can be found here. Not everyone needs a ‘Skilled Worker’ visa. If you are applying for a vacancy in health or adult social care, check if you’re eligible to apply for the Health and Care Worker visa instead. It’s cheaper to apply for and you do not need to pay the annual immigration health surcharge
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Karin Blackwell
- Job title
- Senior Commercial Development Manager
- Email address