Head of Estate & Facilities
- Band 8D
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- London Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- £82,804 - £94,644 per annum inclusive of HCAS plus 4% on call
- 16/05/2021 23:59
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe. As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
Head of Estates & Facilities
With an estate of over 70 properties including ambulance stations and corporate assets, the LAS owns and occupies a diverse, multi-site property portfolio which supports core service delivery for patients and the work of its 8,000 staff.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Assets & Property, the Head of Estates and Facilities will lead all estates matters for the Trust. This includes modernisation and maintenance of the portfolio, capital projects, sustainability, acquisitions and disposals of land and property, whilst ensuring that the Estates Vision remains relevant and in line with Trust’s overarching strategy. Delivery of these objectives will further enable to the Trust to operate at its most efficient and represent value for money, whilst ensuring first class service delivery to patients.
Link to candidate pack - https://online.flippingbook.com/view/566844695/
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in a senior property or estates management role across a complex property portfolio within a comparable organisation. With responsibility for a team of property experts, the Head of Estates & Facilities will ensure effective delivery of the Vision through people, whilst creating a culture of innovation, improvement and efficiency. Stakeholder management skills are also essential to form strong and influential relationships with a range of individuals. Such stakeholders include NHS partners, other blue light services and public sector organisations, consultants, and the local community.
The appointed candidate will be a qualified member of a professional association or possess considerable industry experience.
The Head of Estates & Facilities appointment offers the opportunity to be directly responsible for leading a high-profile property portfolio and its future vision within an emergency service organisation.
To arrange a confidential briefing call or to request a copy of the candidate information pack please contact our retained advisor Stephanie Howe (email@example.com) at The Management Recruitment Group on 0203 962 9900.
Closing date for applications is 16th May 2021.
First stage interviews with MRG are scheduled for w/c 17th May and 24th May 2021.
First stage interviews with the LAS are scheduled for w/c 31st May 2021.
Working for our organisation
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust is the busiest ambulance Trust in the UK. We are seeking someone who will fit with the Trust values of being respectful, professional, innovative and collaborative.
The team works widely across the Trust at all levels up to Board and with a variety of other partners such as external NHS Trusts, commercial organisations, Heathrow Airport, Stadia, Londons Air Ambulance and Healthcare UK and Department for International Trade.
You will, therefore, have the opportunity to join the team at an exciting time of growth and to gain experience of being involved in a varied portfolio.
Annual leave starts at 27 days rising to 33 days, plus bank holidays, in line with agenda for change (NHS terms and conditions).
Employees can access Blue Light (emergency services) discounts as well as NHS discount schemes.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
1. Lead Estates matters for the Trust including modernisation and maintenance of the Estate ensuring operationally fit for purpose space that supports service delivery and the Environment.
2. Coordinating the purchase and sale of land and buildings with stakeholders and maintenance of all Trust Estate, contract negotiations and resolution of disputes.
3. Devise and implement the 10 year Trust-Wide Estates strategy supporting service delivery and designing the estate to improve efficiency and agile working.
4. Responsible for ensuring the best use of the financial assets using Operating budget (c.£10m) and additional Capital funding (c.£5m) per annum.
5. Maintain a compliant Estate, reporting monthly performance, presenting and advising the Trust Board on all complex matters relating to the Estate.
6. Lead on service wide Facilities management and tender contracts in compliance with procurement regulations.
7. Design and implement responsible, sustainable environment plans for the Estate
8. Ensure adequate physical security and resilience of the estate with particular emphasis on the Call centre and dispatch functions.
9. Leadership of the Estates and Facilities team, taking responsibility for all aspects of management and personal development.
Applicants are advised to read all the information enclosed in the advert and the supporting information before completing and submitting an application. As you complete your application please ensure you clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria in the person specification for this post by adequately completing the supporting information section of the application form.
‘Priority consideration for this post will be given to ‘at risk’ candidates'
Qualifications, Accre & Edu
- Qualified Chartered Surveyor or Membership of an equivalent Professional Association
- Educated to degree level
- Demonstrable experience at a senior level in managing estates and facilities
- Demonstrable experience in Health and Safety management, including risk management
- Estate, Facilities and Project Management experience either within the public or private sector.
- Extensive post-qualification training and experience in Estates, Facilities and complex
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to negotiate and persuade on highly complex subject matters (e.g. contracts, leases), both orally and in writing.
- Working in partnership with external organisations
- Experience of staff leadership and management with leadership skills to motivate others
- Knowledge/understanding of statutory and local requirements including building regulations, planning permissions, conservation area applications etc.
- Ability to make a wider corporate contribution to the Trusts strategies and decision making, operating comfortably at most senior levels of the organisation.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Andrew Goodman
- Job title
- Director of Strategic Assets & Property
- Email address