Chief Financial Accountant
- Band 8C
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- London Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- £70,641 - £80,554 PA inclusive of HCAS
- Today at 23:59
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe. As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
Chief Financial Accountant- £70,641-£80,554 (inclusive of inner London weighting)
This is an important and challenging position for an individual who has the initiative to take the Financial Accounting function forward.
The successful candidate could come from a variety of backgrounds from within the NHS, the wider public sector or audit firm, but it is important the candidate has a strong technical background. Having experience of delivering year-end and having oversight of treasury and capital is important and you will be involved in the development of Financial Strategies to deliver cash and capital targets.
Please contact our recruitment partner Adrian Watts from Allen Lane for an informal discussion. In the first instance please send your CV and current remuneration to LAS@allenlane.co.uk
Application close date: Monday 21st June
Interview dates: w/c Monday 5th July
Main duties of the job
The Chief Financial Accountant is a key member of the finance department who will report into the Financial Controller and support them in leading the management of the performance of the Financial Accounts team (including outsourced providers). The role will be pivotal in ensuring the delivery of a professional, dynamic, efficient and proactive service to meet the needs of the Trust.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the development of the financial strategy and associated financial plans for the Trust including preparation of forecast cash flow and balance sheets.
- Proactive planning and management of the Trust’s cash position, receivables, working capital and loan financing facilities.
- Managing the production of the Trust’s annual accounts and their audit, and supporting the production of the annual report.
- Managing the month end timetable to ensure efficient processes are in place to accurately report the month end results and forecast.
Working for our organisation
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust is the busiest ambulance Trust in the UK. We are seeking someone who will fit with the Trust values of being respectful, professional, innovative and collaborative.
The team works widely across the Trust at all levels up to Board and with a variety of other partners such as external NHS Trusts, commercial organisations, Heathrow Airport, Stadia, Londons Air Ambulance and Healthcare UK and Department for International Trade.
You will, therefore, have the opportunity to join the team at an exciting time of growth and to gain experience of being involved in a varied portfolio.
Annual leave starts at 27 days rising to 33 days, plus bank holidays, in line with agenda for change (NHS terms and conditions).
Employees can access Blue Light (emergency services) discounts as well as NHS discount schemes.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
As a key member of the Finance management team, take responsibility for:
1. The management of the performance of the Financial Accounts team (including outsourced
providers) ensuring the delivery of a professional, dynamic, efficient and proactive service to
meet the needs of the Trust.
2. Contribute to the development of the financial strategy and associated financial plans for the
Trust including preparation of forecast cash flow and balance sheets.
3. Proactive planning and management of the Trust’s cash position, receivables, working capital
and loan financing facilities.
4. Managing the production of the Trust’s annual accounts and their audit, and supporting the
production of the annual report.
5. Managing the month end timetable to ensure efficient processes are in place to accurately
report the month end results and forecast both internally and to NHS Improvement.
6. Providing financial analysis and commentary and communicating this effectively to budget
holders, staff, auditors and other stakeholders.
7. Proactive management of the outsourced provider for finance and accounting to ensure
compliance with contract. Ensure the Trust is working in line with ELFT best practice to deliver
the benefits of outsourced service provision.
8. Responsible for all financial systems and accounting / transaction processes throughout the
Trust, ensuring adequate financial controls are in place and users are adequately trained.
9. Liaison with external and internal audit and the Local Counter Fraud Specialist.
10. Responsible for ensuring all changes in legislation and accounting practice are identified and
Trusts SFIs/Standing Orders and accounting policies and procedures are updated and
communicated effectively across all areas of the organisation.
11. Tax specialist for the Trust (VAT/ PAYE/ Corporation tax).
12. Finance staff development for the Trust.
13. Ensuring the Trust has appropriate insurance arrangements in place.
Qualifications, Accreditations, Education, Experience
- CCAB recognised accountancy qualification
- Significant post qualification experience in a senior accounting role gained ideally in a large audit firm and in a senior financial accounting role.
- An MBA or equivalent experience of managing part of the Finance function in a large service delivery organisation
- Undertaken a variety of additional short courses to develop specialist knowledge
- Significant experience and knowledge gained through working in specialist areas within organisations and from exposure to differing business models
- Experience of delivering a customer focussed service to ensure that the finance department matches the operational needs of the Trust.
- Considerable experience of using computer based financial systems in a complex environment. Able to contribute to the ongoing development of financial systems and processes
- Experience of negotiating and agreeing deadliness and standards and quality of work with other departments
- Experience of working at a strategic level, able to recognise direction and implications of policy
- Good knowledge of the Trust, its aims, targets to be delivered, structures and activities
- Able to demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the NHS as a whole, its strategic direction and implications of policy.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Adrian Watts
- Job title
- Recruitment Partner
- Email address