IM&T Database Administrator
- Band 8A
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- London Ambulance Service
- £54,223 - £60,316 per annum inclusive of HCAS
- 19/08/2022 23:59
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe. As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
Working as a senior technical expert, the Database Administrator has complete management responsibility for the Trusts Database Management Systems (DBMS).
Specifically, to proactively manage the database environment in order to ensure maximum availability and efficient operation of the 24/7x365 business critical systems that are relied upon for real time operations in the Control Rooms / Call Centres.
Main duties of the job
Take overall responsibility for technical design, implementation & support of database related services providing the centre of excellence and recognised point of contact
Design & implement a data management environment to support operational and analytical business applications. This will include developing, managing and updating data models, including physical and logical models for a data warehouse, data mart, staging area and operational data stores
Act as the lead technical specialist for all LAS databases, applying communication, analytical, incident and problem-solving skills in order to promptly resolve highly complex technical issues where there is no obvious solution. This will often require intense concentration, advanced analysis, interpretation and comparison between numerous solutions.
Working for our organisation
Our team consists of 4x IM&T Systems Advanced Technical Specialists, 2x IM&T CAD Systems Managers and 1x Database Administrator.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
For further information on the job description and main responsibilities, please see attached job description and person specification.
- Educated to degree level with appropriate post-graduate to Master’s degree or equivalent experience
- Formal industry certification is preferred e.g. OCP MySQL, MCDBA, MCITP-DBA. MCSA:SQL, ICDBA, etc.
- ITIL, PRINCE2 Foundational level
- Microsoft Powershell scripting / automation
- Oracle database knowledge
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft tools - Office, Excel, Visio and Project
- Presentation skills with Microsoft Powerpoint
- Recent and relevant senior management level experience within a large organisation
- Significant IT support experience in a complex and critical systems environment providing technical support over multiple sites to 1000+ customers / users
- Previous experience within a Service Management environment
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of managing contractors and suppliers
- Knowledge technical skills experience of PCs, servers and terminal devices
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Ade Ajayi
- Job title
- Systems Services Manager
- Email address