Assistant Director of Strategic OD and Talent
Band 8D/9 Indicative banding
- People & Culture
- Band 8D/9 Indicative banding
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- London Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- £82,804 - £111,817 PA inclusive of HCAS
- 04/08/2021 23:59
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe.
As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
In everything we do, we are Respectful, Professional, Innovative and Collaborative.
We are looking to recruit an Assistant Director of Strategic OD and Talent to join our innovative and dynamic People and Culture team reporting directly to the Director of People & Culture.
- A change in mindset and focus is needed, we require a more responsive and proactive approach, more strategic thinking and so this role combines leadership and expertise in Organisational Design and Development, Change, Talent management and Reward and links closely with the organisation’s Learning and Education agenda.
- In this role you will have overall strategic responsibility for the Strategic Organisational design, Change, Development and Talent management functions and processes within LAS.
Main duties of the job
- The post holder will provide strategic input into the Organisational Development, Change and Talent management strategies. As our new Assistant Director of Strategic OD and Talent you will work closely with members of the Executive team to scope, develop and implement directorate change programmes and work closely with the Director of Culture Diversity and Inclusion to ensure that the Culture and Diversity corporate objectives are incorporated into the Leadership Development Pathway, Change Management and Talent Management programmes.
- It is essential that as Assistant Director of Strategic OD and Talent you create a work environment aligned with the LAS strategic goals, as well as recruit, retain and develop highly effective senior level employees and devise and implement strategic Talent management initiatives including succession planning and senior management.
Working for our organisation
London Ambulance Service NHS Trust is the busiest ambulance Trust in the UK. We are seeking someone who will fit with the Trust values of being respectful, professional, innovative and collaborative.
The team works widely across the Trust at all levels up to Board and with a variety of other partners such as external NHS Trusts, commercial organisations, Heathrow Airport, Stadia, Londons Air Ambulance and Healthcare UK and Department for International Trade.
You will, therefore, have the opportunity to join the team at an exciting time of growth and to gain experience of being involved in a varied portfolio.
Annual leave starts at 27 days rising to 33 days, plus bank holidays, in line with agenda for change (NHS terms and conditions).
Employees can access Blue Light (emergency services) discounts as well as NHS discount schemes.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The post holder will:
- As Assistant Director of Strategic OD and Talent you will also oversee learning and development (L&D) strategies in conjunction with the Head of Leadership and Performance, and facilitate the delivery of the People & Culture Strategic Plan.
- The post holder will also provide specialist strategic expertise to the Director of People and Culture and the Executive Team in contributing to the development of organisational culture, performance management, leadership, employee engagement and all aspects of organisational change and development.
- Support the Director of People and Culture with the strategic responsibility for organisational design, development,non-clinical learning and education, talent management and health and wellbeing functions and processes within LAS.
- Have lead responsibility for Board, and Executive level, Senior Management and Corporate professional services recruitment.
- Provide strategic organisational design and development support across the Trust to facilitate restructuring, organisational change, organisation structure realignment.
- Have oversight of contractual professional services employed across the Trust.
- Lead and advise on senior staff reward strategy.
- Devise and implement strategic talent management initiatives including succession planning and senior management development initiatives.
Key Relationships & Stakeholders
Director of People and Culture - to develop plans, review progress and the performance of the functions within their
Chair, Board members ,Chief Executive, Executive Team, Staff Governance Committee, Partnership Forum and
Directorate senior management teams – for the purposes of writing reviews and policies, reporting progress, working
with individual directors and management teams on executive coaching.
National Leadership Academy, Health Education England and NHS Elect —collaborative working on national and local
NHSE/I Appointment and Resourcing function in regard to VSM appointments and salary approvals.
Qualifications, Accreditations, Education
- Masters Degree level or equivalent experience
- Chartered MCIPD
- Experience in managing a team with a strong understanding of talent acquisition, management and development.
- Senior level HR experience in a large complex environment.
- High level interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Demonstrable experience of handling complex and highly sensitive information.
- Ability to navigate sensitive conversations which impact on individual careers.
- Familiar with performance management and relevant software.
- Experience of leading large scale organisation wide change programmes.
- Ability to use the relevant Human Resources tools.
- Experience delivering employee training programmes.
- NHS experience.
Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of employment legislation.
- Analytical and able to interpret data.
- Ability to be strategic and tactical when making decisions.
- xcellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate at all levels including at Board level and to external stakeholders at National level.
- Expert knowledge of employment legislation, current case law, best practice and health service workforce regulation regimes (e.g. CQC).
- Able to lead transformation, change management and organisational development, through the application of OD methodologies and approaches.
- A highly credible leader with a compassionate and inclusive leadership style.
- Knowledge of NHS and wider Health Care sector.
- A strong commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- High degree of personal and professional integrity.
- High level of resilience.
- Highly developed influencing, negotiation and persuasion skills with the ability to effectively handle highly sensitive issues and influences the achievement of early resolution.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Helen Childs
- Job title
- Principal Consultant - Healthcare Practice
- Email address