Warehouse Team Leader
- Supply & Distribution Department, Strategic Assets and Property Directorate
- Band 5
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Segro Park
- £28,691 - £35,207 PA inclusive of HCAS
- 18/05/2021 23:59
London Ambulance Service covers an area of 620 sq. miles, serves one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities and is the busiest ambulance service in the UK. We handle over 1.9 million emergency calls from across the capital and attend more than 1.2 million incidents every single year as well as delivering a 24 hour NHS 111 Integrated Urgent Care Service in South East and North East London that we estimate will respond to around 1.4million urgent care calls by the end of the year.
We employ over 8,000 people who work or volunteer across London to respond to the health needs of over eight million people who live, work and travel in the capital. We work closely with our NHS partners and are commissioned by 32 clinical commissioning groups spread across 5 sustainability and transformation partnerships (STPs) and NHS England for our specialist services. We work alongside London’s hospital, mental health and specialist trusts, as well as the five STPs across Greater London.
In addition we work in partnership with the other emergency services, London’s Air Ambulance and London’s Resilience Forums to make sure we are ready and prepared to respond to major incidents and ensure we keep Londoners safe. As the only pan-London NHS provider we have a unique opportunity to play a leading role in integrating access to emergency and urgent care right across London.
By 2023 we will improve outcomes and experiences for all our patients by providing the right care to patients at the right time, and in the most cost effective way. This will mean up to 122,000 fewer patients being taken to emergency departments when their needs could be better met in a different way, and we will deliver significant efficiencies in avoided costs to the urgent and emergency care sector.
The London Ambulance Service (LAS) are investing into the new Supply & Distribution department which will give the LAS a brand new warehouse, brand new asset management system and a new team structure to support one of the busiest ambulance service in the world.
The role of the Warehouse Team Leader is to be the first line managers to the warehouse and delivery operatives and will be responsible for line management responsibilities such as welfare support, sickness management, rotas, training and conducting disciplinary investigations / hearings.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to evidence achievement of GCSE English and Maths A-C or 4-9 grades, Functional skills level 2, (or equivalent)* or NARIC Certificate for international qualifications – *Further details of the requirements and the full list are contained within the document section of this advert.
Main duties of the job
Warehouse Team Leader
Some of the key responsibilities of this role include,
- Running a safe and effective warehouse operation which includes having a full daily staffing rota with appropriately trained staff
- Having a very high standard of Health and Safety considerations
- Booking stock into the warehouse using the stock management system and storing equipment in a safe and secure manner, using a fork lift where required
- Keeping accurate stock records and rotating stock around to ensure no items exceed their use by date. Reducing waste wherever possible and keeping stock clean and dry.
- Deliver daily briefings to Warehouse and Delivery teams to ensure all team members are informed of responsibilities and any updates or changes which may affect them
- Manage the day to day running of the warehouse including managing the staff, stock movement and safety regulations. Have the autonomy to make changes to the process which are in place to ensure all set Key Performance Indicators are met.
Working for our organisation
We are looking for experienced Warehouse Team Leaders who are motivated, hardworking and works well with others. They must live our values in everything they do and promote excellence throughout their work.
You will also be responsible for maintaining and running the warehouse be ensuring systems are in place to enable the incoming delivery, storage, and distribution of equipment, consumables, linen, uniform and other supplies to front line ops.
Applicants are advised to read all the information enclosed in the advert and the supporting information before completing and submitting an application. As you complete your application, please ensure you clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria in the person specification for this post by adequately completing the supporting information section of the application form.
We reserve the right to close the application window early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
This role will be based at our brand new warehouse at Segro Park, Rainham, RM13 8HY from June 2021 but the role will initially start at Deptford, SE8 5HY to help with the transition from one site to another.
DBS Check is required for this role.
- The purpose of this role is to support the Supply Chain Manager (responsible for distribution) in maintaining and running the distribution hub and warehousing estate including line managing the warehouse and delivery operatives.
- The post holder needs to ensure systems are in place to enable the incoming delivery, storage, and distribution of equipment, consumables, linen, uniform and other supplies to
front line operations.
- They are the first line managers to the warehouse and delivery operatives and will be responsible for line management responsibilities such as welfare support, sickness
management, rotas, training and conducting disciplinary investigations / hearings.
- The post holder is responsible for fulfilling a supervisor/manager rota working unsocial hours including late shifts and weekends.
- They will be responsible for monitoring stock levels of all items and placing orders via the Trust’s procurement platform when stock levels fall below the minimum level. Proactive monitoring should occur so that the department never has insufficient stock of any items.
Qualifications, Accreditations, Education
- At least a NVQ Level 3– e.g storage and warehousing, Team Leader or must enrol onto course upon commencement of role and successfully complete
- Higher National Certificate in Management and Leadership or equivalent
- Full manual driving licence (no more than 3 penalty points)
- GCSE English and Maths C or above or 4-9 grades, Functional skills level 2, (or equivalent)
- Fork Lift Driver (must be willing to get license)
- C1 / D1 driving licence
- 1 year of driving experience
- Experience of driving larger vehicles
- Experience of stores / logistics / warehouse work
- Experience of supervising /Line Managing staff
- Experience of driving in Central London
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to relate to people from different backgrounds
- Ability to plan effective and efficient routes
- Ability to maintain pre-arranged schedules
- Basic computer skills (Windows and MS Office)
- Ability to use spreadsheets
- Ability to undertake equipment training
- Ability to maintain records (manual and electric)
- Knowledge of stores / logistics
- Ability to order and maintain stores
- Ability to schedule equipment maintenance
- Knowledge of London
- Understanding of the Ambulance Service
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritise
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to lift heavy items of stores and equipment where necessary
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Vanessa Hewitt
- Job title
- Business Manager
- Email address